About ten years ago, while living in San Diego, I frequently led “Goddess Retreats,” all female, juice-fasting, yoga & hiking retreats in high-energy centers worldwide (Sedona, Maui, India, etc.). I kept a map of California pinned on the wall to the left of my desk and a globe to my right.
For some reason, I was having a ‘Sleepless in Rancho Santa Fe’ kind of a week, where I repeatedly woke up around 3am, unable to fall back asleep. After the fourth or fifth night of this unusual pattern, I went to my desk to do some writing. As I looked to my left, my eyes locked onto Mount Shasta, California. I instantly felt a very strong pull to this site. I started doing a little research online about Shasta, and I was very intrigued with the spiritual and natural writings about the town and mountain.
The very next night, as predicted, I again woke at 3am. I, once again, sat down at my desk, and this time when I looked at my map, I saw seven major cities in California connecting up the state, much like the seven energy chakras of our energetic bodies. Out loud I said, “it’s Kali-fornia!” altering the spelling after the goddess, Kali, who rules the first chakra. After all, California is reported to have been named after an African Queen, Califia, and the state seal features the Roman goddess on it’s crest.
The next morning I called a close friend of mine, Bobby Williams, who is the epitome of the masculine adventurer, rugged outdoorsman, and nature-lover. I said, “Bobby, I have to go to Shasta!” He answered without hesitation, “Let’s go!” Within a week, Bobby arrived at my home in San Diego in his white Bronco, ready to ascend California. Together we (he, the extreme masculine energy, and I, the extreme feminine energy) drove through all Kali-fornia Chakra’s from the base of the state (San Diego) to the crown (Mt. Shasta) – all in under 11 hours. Along the way, I took note of the centers and cities, and how they matched the energy of the Yogi Chakra system:
1. San Diego – I AM ABUNDANT – The Muladhara Chakra Tank is printed on a deep red tank, with the words “Kali-fornia Girl.” This center represents your “roots,” including the abundant soil that we root ourselves in. This center focuses on family, security, and abundance of mind, body and world. The back of this tank features the Sanskrit symbol, a list of attributes and the related Kali-fornina Chakra City, San Diego, residing at the base of California. Get Grounded!
2. Los Angeles – I AM CREATIVE - The Svadhishthana Chakra Tank is printed on a coral tank with the word “FLOW,” reminding you to be fluid, creative and sensual. The back of this tank features the Sanskrit symbol, a list of attributes, and the Kali-fornina Chakra City of Los Angeles – the land of fluid illusions and creativity. Create your life!
3. San Luis Obispo – I AM POWERFUL – The Manipura Chakra Tank is printed on a yellow tank with the words “I AM” followed by a smile symbol, reminding you of who you are at your core center, nurturing a healthy sense of self, and choosing a happy state of being regardless of circumstances. The back of this tank features the Sanskrit symbol, a list of attributes and the related Kali-fornina Chakra City, San Luis Obispo, known as the “Happiest Place in America.” Be Happy!
4. San Francisco – I AM LOVE - The Anahata Chakra Tank is printed on a mint colored tank with the words “I LOVE YOU.” Live LOVE, unconditionally. The back of the tank features the Sanskrit symbol for this chakra, a list of attributes and the related Kali-fornina Chakra City, San Francisco. If you left your heart in San Fran, it might be time to get it back!
5. Sacramento – I AM TRUE – The Vishuddha Chakra Tank is printed on a navy tank with the words “AZ.I.AM,” reminding you to live true to who you are, and to express yourself truthfully. The back of this tank features the Sanskrit symbol, a list of attributes, and the Kali-fornina Chakra City of Sacramento – the voice of Kali-fornia. Live True!
6. Eureka / Napa Vineyard country – I AM INTUITIVE - The Anja Chakra Tank is printed on a violet tank with the words “IN 2 IT,” reminding you of your innate intuition. The back of this tank features the Sanskrit symbol, a list of attributes, and the Kali-fornina Chakra City of Eureka – center for a-ha realizations and the Purple Haze, psychedelic quality of Napa’s vineyards. Listen to your inner voice!
7. Mount Shasta – I AM - The Sahasraha Chakra Tank is printed on a white tank with the word “NAMASTE,” center chest, reminding you that we are all One, made of the same pure Spirit source. The back of this tank features the Sanskrit symbol, a list of attributes, and the Kali-fornina Chakra City of Mount Shasta, which means “chaste” or “pure.” Be, as you are. As I AM.
Kali-fornia Girls, we’re undeniable.